Friday, March 16, 2007

ZULU LANGUAGE



Zulu (isiZulu) is a language of the Zulu people. Zulu means heaven or sky in the Zulu language. Zulu is the most widely spoken home language in South Africa as well as being understood by over 50% of the population (Ethnologue 2005). It became one of South Africa’s 11 official languages in 1994 at the end of apartheid. Zulu is also spoken in Malawi, Mozambique and Swaziland. Zulu, like all indigenous languages spoken in South Africa was an oral language until contact with the European missionaries who documented the language using the Latin alphabet.


  • Hello - Sawubona Sanibona
  • How are you? - Unjani?
  • I am well - Ngisaphila
  • I am fine thank you - Ngisaphila ngiyabonga.
  • Goodbye - Hamba kahle Sala kahle
  • Good luck - Ngikufisela inhlanhla
  • Yes - Yebo
  • No - Cha
  • Please - Ngiyakucela
  • Thank you - Ngiyabonga
  • Excuse me - Uxolo
  • I am sorry - Ngiyaxolisa.
  • I love you - Ngiyakuthanda.
  • I'm okay / We're okay - Ngiyaphila / Siyaphila
  • Thanks (a lot) - Ngiyabonga (kakhulu)
  • What is your name? - Ngubani igama lakho?
  • Go well / Stay well/goodbye - Hamba kahle / Sala kahle
  • Wow! - Eish!
  • I don't know - Angazi Ukhuluma
  • Do you speak English? - isiNgisi na?
  • I've just started learning Zulu - Ngisaqala ukufunda isiZulu
  • Can I help you? - Ngingakusiza?
  • Where do you stay? - Uhlala kuphi?
  • Where are you from? - Uphumaphi?
  • Go well / Stay well, to a group of people - Hambani kahle / Salani kahle
  • South Africa - iNingizimu Afrika / uMzansi Afrika
  • Durban - iTheku
  • Johannesburg - iGoli
  • My name is... - Igama lami ngu...
  • What's the time? - Isikhathi sithini?
  • Cape Town - iKapa
  • Pretoria - iPitoli


No little one! you can not have Umqombothi (beer made from sorghum)

Image by Joumana Medlej

one - kunye

two - kubili

three - kuthathu

four - kune

five - kuhlanu

six - yisithupa

Seven - yisikhombisa

eight - yisishiyagalombili

nine - yisishiyagalolunye

ten - yishumi


6 comments:

luihamu said...

Sawubona Sanibona Liz
Unjani?

I admire your blog and articles i love the way you focus on African Culture.You are palying a very big part in this society, you see i now know how to say Hello in Zulu.

Liz what about the Dinka from sudan,the masaai,the horobo.

Liz keep it up dont let anything hold you back.Jah live.

Ngiyabonga.

AFRICAN LIZ said...

Habari Luihamu,

The Dinka, Maasai, Wodaabe languages will soon be posted on Sahara Vibe so that atleast when you visit them you can communicate ama sio...:))))


Liz

Anonymous said...

this language is very good I like very much i have down loded a free zulu course. I will try all my best to learn as much I can. if any one have the song from yusef (cat stevens)wile world would in zulu language please sent it to my addres E mail trapitotheclown@hotmail.com thanks ngiyabonga kakhulu lalo

solaris1 khulanu said...

Thanks so much I learnt so much from this blog, my girlfriend is zulu and I love to speak. Her language to her

Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my facebook group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

Here is my blog ... concrete driveway
Here is my blog :: videos

AFRICAN LIZ said...

Sure go ahead

 
Afrigator